The topics you study will prepare you for a varied range of roles and degree level courses, and ensure you are prepared for your future in this vibrant and rewarding sector.
• Child development from conception to 7 years
• Children’s health and well-being
• Providing safe environments
• Child health
• Play and learning
• Understanding children’s additional needs
• Observation, assessment and planning
• Supporting emergent literacy and mathematics
• Preparing for school readiness
• International perspectives
• Reflective practice for professional development and partnerships
• Professional practice portfolio (completed over two years)
You’ll gain direct experience of the sector by combining your learning in our Childcare Hub with direct industry experience. As a student you will develop your skills and knowledge with two days of placement work each week. This could be in a primary school, private day nursery or in a pre-school/ playgroup – over the two years you’ll experience all the sector has to offer, helping you to decide where you want to be in the future.
There’s plenty of opportunities outside of your studies. Trips include visits to Chester Zoo and Cliffe House where you’ll put your learning into action. We also visit universities including Huddersfield, Cumbria and Leeds Trinity so you can explore the degree level opportunities available to you.
General entry criteria applies (plus grade 4 in GCSE Science if aspirations are primary teaching). This is available on our website.
This course supports you to pursue a range of career paths. If you wish to progress to university this is an ideal course to support Teaching, Nursing, Social Work, Counselling, and Speech and Language therapy, amongst others.
If you want to enter the world of work after your course, you could look at opportunities such as Nursery Nurse, Classroom Assistant, Nanny or Children’s Holiday Rep.